Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Texas water

We have lots of home improvement projects on our to do list.  This Spring has been unseasonaby warm (global warming anyone?)  so we are taking advantage of the beautiful weather and getting some outdoor projects done.  The biggest we did was replacing our 6ft tall wooden fence entirely by ourselves.  I am so impressed with us over this one, it saved us a couple of thousand dollars which means more dough to make other repairs or to splurge a little on a vacation. 

One thing that has been on our to do list for a LONG time is under the kitchen sink.  We had a bad dishwasher leak that completely warped the wooden shelf under the sink.  However we also have a reverse osmosis system under there so replacing it meant taking the entire tank out.  It was a task.  We decided to have a water filter and softener put on the house.  I have awful skin issues and I am aware that chlorine is a known carcinogen.  These things along with the fact that Texas has incredibly hard water which is hard on the plumbing as well and we decided to do something about it.  I think it is awful that we have no control over the chemicals the are in the water that our children bathe in or that our laundry is washed in.  Thankfully there are companies out there that can do something about it.  It's not cheap and I am still having some twitching from the overall cost but I am really loving the results.

We called Culligan who had given us a quote a couple of years back and they came out within a few days and gave us a new quote.  At that time we also opted to have a new reverse osmosis put in and they attached it to our fridge so even our ice is filtered through the system.  I might have been most excited about that, the ice with just the fridge filter always tasted too much like tap water :/  I am a massive water snob.  We won't go into that. 

So back to under the sink.  Since they were putting in a new RO we HAD to fix the board under the sink.  It was bad and because of the previous water damage it was a bit musty under there.  Gross.  We talked to some of the people at Lowe's and they seemed to know our problem, they said it happens often.  Their solution was to put two pieces of plywood in there since we couldn't get it in in one piece (because of the doors).

Here is under the sink after we ripped out the gross warped board.  I vacuumed it out because it was kind of icky.


Here it is after we added the plywood.  This was the best option for liner purchased at Wal-Mart at 10pm, don't judge!  We had to add a support board along the back which the hubs nailed in with the nail gun.  It is nice and sturdy under there.


Here is the RO system under the sink, it takes up significant space but is worth it.



The day the workers came out to install the water softener it was pouring rain.  This didn't stop them, they set up a beach umbrella and got to work.  They had to attach something upstairs to the hot water heater so one of the workers got a reprieve from the rain while he partner was digging a trench in the rain.

This is where the water filter is going to go.  It's out front  but hidden behind a huge rose bush.  Hopefully the hoa won't mind :/


After they dug the trench



They had to leave the trench open until the city came out to inspect their work.  It was filled in today, almost two weeks later.  Poor guys had to fill the trench in the rain, it hadn't rained since the day they installed it. haha.

I have to say I am very happy with my new filtered water.  My hair is softer and I use less shampoo and conditioner and soap (but I'm still clean ;)).  It's pretty amazing how much we were compensating for our hard water.  I am hoping my bathroom sink taps last longer now and don't get that hard buildup anymore.




No comments:

Post a Comment